• Photobucket

Pages

5.13.2010

Sunday Brunch

Now on Green Apples ~ and I know it's kind of redundant to my food blog, but somehow I don't care ~ NEW! Posted on Thursday mornings so you can get your shopping done in time to prepare... TA DA! Sunday Brunch! I'm so excited!

Breakfast food is my comfort food because a lot of my happiest childhood memories come from the breakfast table. Both of my grandmothers made a huge deal out of breakfast when we spent the night; eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, pancakes, fruit, juice, the works. When we were home sick from school and Dad stayed with us, French Toast was almost a guarantee and a special one too since we ate cereal or toast 360 days a year. Thanks Dad!

Because I'm not staying home sick from school these days, nor do I have grandparents to make me a six course breakfast anymore, from my table to yours...

French Toast Casserole
Serves 6

5 cups bread cubes
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup white sugar, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp margarine, softened
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup nuts {optional}
powdered sugar for sprinkling {optional}

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly butter an 8x8 baking pan.

Line the bottom of the pan with the bread cubes and optional nuts. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 tbsp sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Dot with margarine and let stand 10 minutes.

Combine the remaining sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden. Dust with optional powdered sugar.

This recipe is courtesy of Starflower at AllRecipes.com.

Personally, I like to serve French Toast Casserole with warm maple syrup, bacon {we eat the VF kind}, fresh berries, and fresh orange juice. However, it's also tasty to substitute the margarine dots for cream cheese dots and trade the pre-baking cinnamon & sugar topping for orange marmalade post-baking. My other favorite version is to add frozen blueberries to the bread cubes before baking. Yes, I play with my food and every time I make this, Kiwi eats dog food for breakfast. I assume the kids would give it a 5-star rating and that your table will not be disappointed.

Blissful brunching!

No comments:

Post a Comment