• Photobucket

Pages

5.20.2010

Sunday Brunch

It's the second posting of Sunday Brunch on Green Apples and I'm still excited! First, let me announce that I don't like chunks of fruit in my yogurt, nuts in my banana bread, or vegetables in my eggs. I like things plain, simple, fresh and easy and no one knows these characteristics like the Asians. We're always coming up with some new contraption to make living more uh, comfortable {Google "Noodle Hair Guard" and you'll see what I mean}. On a more useful note, Asian cooking couldn't be simpler: veggies, wok, oil, heat + rice = meal. With this recipe, a delicious dish is created by combining just two tomatoes and 10 egg whites. Simply delicious. From my table to yours...

Chinese Egg Whites with Tomatoes

2 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
2 large tomatoes, sliced
10 large egg whites
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp white pepper

Heat a wok over high heat, then add 1/2 tsp of oil. When the oil is hot, add the tomato slices. Quickly stir for 1 minute. Immediately remove the tomato slices to a plate and set aside. Wash the wok thoroughly.

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites with 1 tsp salt until foamy.

Return the wok to high heat and add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot, scoop up some of it with a wok utensil or a large spoon; hold this oil over the wok. With your fre hand, pour the egg whites into the wok and immediately pour the hot oil directly over the egg whites. Cook for 1 minute. When puffed, add the cooked tomato slices and stir quickly. Add the remaining salt and white pepper. Serve hot.

This recipe can be found in The Martha Stewart Cookbook: Collected Recipes for Every Day

Doesn't this sound fabulous? Personally, I would substitute the white pepper for black pepper, add some basil or spinach and serve it with crispy toast and fresh mozzarella cheese. I can't wait for Sunday, can you?

Blissful brunching!

No comments:

Post a Comment