• Photobucket

Pages

11.13.2009

TGIF. Seriously.

It's been quite the week and I apologize for my missing Monday post, but considering the following all happened on Monday, you'll understand why I didn't even think to jot down a few words for your viewing pleasure.

On Sunday, I had been notified via text message that E had been receiving breathing treatments every two hours, when I urged her father to take her to the urgent care, he refused. At 4:17 Monday morning, I awoke to a daughter in hysterical coughing who was struggling so hard to breathe, I could see her ribs with every inhale. We immediately put plan into action to get her to the ER as quickly as possible. As soon as we entered, they rushed E back (which isn't exactly what you want to happen in an ER as they do treat in order of severity) and within minutes she was on steroids and a breathing treatment.

While there, we saw a number of respiratory therapists, nurses, and the pediatric physician on shift. Cardon's Children Emergency Center is the best ER I've ever been in. They were friendly, efficient, over staffed, knowledgeable, and compassionate. I've never had a more pleasant experience in a hospital emergency wing. If ever I need to return a child to the ER (knock on wood), this will be the only option for us.

In the midst of all this, I was also dealing with the worries of missing work. When you run your own business, you can imagine the stress it creates on all parties involved when you call out; especially last minute, with no notice. A big thank you goes out to all my clients who handled the situation not only well, but with complete understanding and concern, not only for E, but for me. It's tough enough being a single parent on a good day; if it needs to be done you're the only one who can do it, and you just do, but being a single parent with an emergency makes for one giant train wreck. Your ability to switch to Plan B without further question took my worries away. Thank you so much, I love you all dearly!

And just when I thought the dust had settled; E and I returned home, filled her prescription, dealt with standard procedure CPS questions, R's pants had been changed twice, and I made it to the crowded supermarket in bad traffic, is when I received the icing on the crappy cupcake of Monday. I was also fired.

It's true, you can't please all of the people all of the time and some people have a really hard time with last minute adjustments to their daily routine. I understand all this and your reasons behind leaving Sweet Pea TLC, but until your day even remotely resembles mine, the last thing I want to hear from you is that your "day was hell." Let's compare, shall we?

- Was your child in the ER not breathing?
- Did you deal with the standard CPS/ER song and dance?
- Did your 5 year old poop his pants three times that day?
- Did your ex husband argue with you via text messaging over anything he could think of?
- Did your business shut down for the day at 4:20 a.m.?
- Did you worry about six different families?
- Did you answer yes to ANY of these questions?!

I apologized for having an emergency several times, I even was compliant when this particular person continued to text me every 15 minutes for the next two hours while I sat in the ER with my child, but the email in which she noted her "day was hell" was the straw that broke this camel's back.

Don't even begin compare your day to mine until you can answer 'yes' to at least one of the above six questions. I may not know what you have going on at home, but I do know your day was not hell. Your child is healthy. Although, I am so very sorry you had to take a day off of work, or go in for a half day because your husband came home at noon, I ask that you please accept my sincerest, deepest apologies for royally screwing up your Monday.

Fast Forward: Wednesday...

At the Tempe Veteran's Day Parade

The behavior displayed by my children on Wednesday was completely unacceptable. The arguing, the inability to listen and follow directions, the inability to be still, the rudeness, the nitpicking at each other, the tantrums, the complaining, the list goes on. Put us in public and there you go.

I think I am the luckiest woman alive to have found the world's most patient and understanding man. Not only would he not accept an apology for my children's monstrous behavior, but I was told it was unnecessary. This coming from a man who has spent less than a total of 15 hours with them. Does it get any better than that?

By the time 5 o'clock rolled around on Wednesday, I was elated to see their father. I gave him E's pediatric follow up instructions and have been praying that he sticks to them ever since I kissed them goodbye. He tends to drop the ball when it comes to medical instructions and protocol; so keeping fingers crossed that E received breathing treatments every three hours through Thursday night and that she rested and did not attend school for the remainder of the week. We shall see, I pick them up tomorrow night.

TGIF. Seriously.

Tomorrow morning is the 2009 Phoenix Memory Walk for the Alzheimer's Association, maybe I'll burn off some steam in the 5k intended.

Cheers to a peaceful weekend!

At the Tempe Veteran's Day Parade

No comments:

Post a Comment